I am no longer serving in North Carolina... Ok I am really still in North Carolina but it does not seem like it. Here in Lumberton, we are teaching strictly people from Burma and Thailand. They speak very little English so we often times need translators for our lessons at their homes. It has been really fun and is a very unique culture. The people speak like 4 different languages. Koren, Korenne, Burmese and a few other ones. Every lesson we take our shoes off and sit on the floor. The people are really humble and I love them already. It definitely is a unique experience that I never thought I'd get in North Carolina. We also have a small branch, but there are 3 sets of missionaries in the branch because of all of the teaching that is going on. On Sunday, all of the talks are translated for those who don't speak English. During the second and third hour, we have a class where we teach them English and basic gospel principles. It is really really fun. Also something that is awesome is that almost all of the men play the guitar here!! I got to play the guitar my first night here and a few other times since then with the Burmese men.
My companion is Elder Cluff, He is not the one in the picture with Sister Estes. I did recognize Brother McAlister! He was in young mens for a while so I can still remember him. Elder Cluff is from Arizona and has been out a transfer less than I have. He is a really, really good singer. He is really good at teaching simply and that is what I am working on the most. Elder Balaich did stay in Greenville and is excited to lead out the area.
To answer some of your other questions. Sister Poaletti was the Relief Society President in Greenville. We went a few times with her and her husband to teach some of our investigators. They are great members of the church and I hope to go back and see them one day. We also just learned today that we could email our friends which will be nice! It should be a lot easier to stay in contact with people.
As always, thanks for the updates on what the family is up to. I really love hearing about all of the great things y'all are doing. I hope everything continues to go well for everybody!
I do need to go, but Ill look forward to talking to you next week. I'll probably have some interesting stories to tell you about. Until then have a good week!
Love Elder Mortensen
Last of the Pictures from Greenville
Brother Warren had Brayden sign his guitar!
Brayden and Brother Warren
Elders Dewy, Balaich, Mortensen, and Perryman
No comments:
Post a Comment