Hello everyone,
Another great week here in Tabor City! We are still having a lot of success
and both Elder Persinger and I love the people here in Tabor City.
Our district meeting went very well! President and Sister Bernhisel came
and it turned out really well. As with all good things, it didn't happen without
any opposition. I had everything planned out and I was really confident that the
meeting would be very uplifting. The morning of, one of the companionship's
called and said that they were not going to be able to make it because they were
feeling really sick. This was the same companionship that I had assigned to
teach a fairly significant part of the district meeting lesson. Naturally, I
immediately started trying to figure what we would do in place of that time.
Everything ended up going great though. The district participated a lot and I
ended up teaching the whole time during district meeting. It went really well! I
taught a few principles that would help them have more productive personal and
companionship studies. I think at the end everyone had a greater understanding
of how our studies help us fulfill our purpose as missionaries. A few of the
principles that I taught were to always study with a question. If you look at
some of the great events in church history such as the First Vision of Joseph
Smith, the restoration of the Priesthood etc... all of those events were
triggered by a question. God is more able to communicate to us during
our studies if we have a question that we are seeking out.
Our exchange with President Bernhisel went really well! Sister Bernhisel
did not go with us because she went on exchange with the Sisters in
the district. We had a lesson with a less active member Sister L--. She has
gone through a lot of trials and it has shaken her faith tremendously. She is a
great person but finds herself doubting the existence of God. Her two
God-daughters were there ( they are not members). During the lesson it seems as
if they were all a little antagonistic toward us and the message we were trying
to share with them. After all was said and done, there was a great spirit
felt by all at the end of the lesson. They softened up and seemed happier as a
result of our visit. It was great teaching with President Bernhisel. I felt like
our teaching was really unified despite this being only the second time I've
ever taught with him. It was great!
After that lesson we ended the exchange. President gave Elder Persinger and
me some good complements about our missionary work and the district meeting.
What a great man.
The rest of the week went well. R-- is struggling a little bit. His life
situation is very difficult to explain and would probably take a few pages for
me to describe what he is going through. I'd just ask y'all to pray for him that
he will have the spirit to influence his choices.
Everyone else is doing great! S-- came to church again! She loves it and
said that she wants to keep coming every week she can! She has really progressed
a lot. We are going to be setting a day for her baptism hopefully this
week!
Everything else is going well here. We teach a lot of less active members.
We are seeing some progress with them, but would like to see more. It seems to
boost the branch members trust in us when they see that we are putting a lot of
effort into the re-activation effort. They feel that missionaries in the past
have baptized people before they were ready, because almost all of the converts
baptized within the past year are now less active. We hope to help them see that
we are here to truly build up the branch.
Thank you for sharing those stories about what you learned at that
conference. That story is quite remarkable. It is amazing to see how much we can
impact someones life. The thing about that is that we oftentimes have no idea
the impact we make. There truly is no greater joy that that which comes from
serving others.
Thank you for all that you do. I hope you have a great week. I feel your
prayers. I definitely need them. I also hope you feel my prayers for y'all.
Love Elder Mortensen
No comments:
Post a Comment