Dear family and friends,
This past week has been really great! Thank you for all of the birthday
wishes, I really appreciate it! We saw a lot of growth this past week here in
Tabor City. We had 3 of our less active members come to church this week! We
also found a really great new investigator.
Brother H-- was one of the less active members who came to church. We
have been teaching Brother H-- since I have been here. He is a really great
man, but has gone through a lot of trials the past year. He lost his son, his
wife was diagnosed with cancer and he lost his hearing all within the last year
so his faith has been tested a lot. He told us that he worries a lot about not
being able to see and also about his son. We were able to teach about having
gratitude for the blessings in our life. At the end of the lesson he seemed to
realize more fully the blessings in his life. Everyone was excited to see him at
church.
V-- was another less active member that came to church. She has also
been through a lot of trials. We went with her home teacher to visit her. We had
a great lesson on how God is always with us through our trials. We read D&C
84:88, because she feels that God has abandoned her. After our lesson she fed us
a wonderful lunch and promised us that she would come to church- and she
did!
My birthday was great! We celebrated by doing what we do every day...
missionary work! On the 27th we ate dinner with a family who is one of my
favorite families! They surprised me at the end with a birthday cake. I was so
thankful for them treating Elder Persinger and me so well! On the 28th we went
on exchange with Brother Warren! We went to see one of his great friends who was
in hospice. A few of her family members were there so we got to talk to them.
Elder Persinger and I sang a few hymn's which seemed to really invite the spirit
into the room. It was a neat experience to serve that family. After that we went
to teach a lady named M--. She was referred to us by a less active member
named C-- M-- The lesson went great! She was soo excited to learn and
had a lot of great questions! We taught a little bit of the plan of salvation
and the restoration to her and her 10 year old daughter. She was really excited
to read from the Book of Mormon and for us to continue coming over. We have a
lesson this Wednesday with her and also another friend that she is inviting! We
are soo excited. The rest of the day went really well. I did get the birthday
package, thank you so much!! I can't believe I am 21.
You asked a few questions about district meetings. Yes we do have them
every week and yes I do teach at every one of them. Our district meetings
usually consist of opening hymn and prayer, announcements, spiritual thoughts by
members of the district, accounting for our previous week, 10 minutes of
instruction from a companionship in the district, and 25-30 minutes of me
teaching and doing role-plays. I love district meetings because every missionary
always has a lot of knowledge and insight that they share with others.
Thank you for the updates from home. It makes me overjoyed to learn of all
the things that y'all are doing back home. I am very proud of my family. I hope
that you have a great week and that you have many opportunities to serve someone
each day:)
Love Elder Mortensen


No comments:
Post a Comment