Monday, April 8, 2013

We Share Alot of Lessons Out of the Book Of Mormon Stories Picture Book

Hello everybody,

This week was a really great one! Id like to start of telling you some good news! First off as you already know, Brother Warren came to visit us in Lumberton! We were able to be with him from 10:45 am to 9:00 pm. It was a great day! We were able to teach a few of our investigators and members. He did seem a little surprised on how different missionary work is here. He got the full experience, sitting on the floor to teach and even getting some of their food. It was probably the funnest day I have had in Lumberton and brought back good memories of Greenville. I cant tell you how excited I am that you will get to meet him. Words cannot even come close to describing how good he is. He has done a very large amount of service for me on my mission and I know I will always remember him. Other good news is that I found out Niki and her daughter Summer from Greenville were baptized the week after I left! I was super excited to hear that because they were really awesome and had great testimonies of the gospel. I hope to be able to see them again one day.

To answer some of your questions about our housing it is a duplex. It is pretty small but we have everything we need. We have recently had rat problems and have caught 2 rats so far.
 
Brayden and Elder Cluff live in the left duplex.
 
 
 
The Giant Rat :) That trap is like 3 times the size of a mouse trap.  Yikes!
 
The Burmese live within 1 mile of us. Everyone we teach is like a 5 minute bike ride away. They live in apartments and houses with electricity and plumbing. There are about 4 houses that we are almost always at. The first one is Hthen Lay Pan's house. His name is pronounced Ta Lee Pay. He is a member and we are currently teaching his wife's family. Their names are Beh Meh, Lu Meh, Bor Meh, Po Meh and So Reh. They are really nice and we share a lot of lessons out of the Book of Mormon Stories picture book with them. Another family is Eh Taw's family. Eh Taw is a member and his sister Eh K Due is a member but the rest of the family is not. They are really fun to teach and all of them are musically gifted so we get to sing and play the guitar a lot at thier house.
 
 
We are also teaching a 12 year old named Sway. He is awesome. He has an baptism date for June 1. He has been coming to church fairly regularly with his mother Te Wah Lay for a while now. We are just trying to help him understand how important baptism is, but just like with a lot of 12 year olds, it hasn't quite sunk in yet.

 
A picture Sway drew for Brayden
 

As Brother Warren will tell you, we do a lot of service for the Burmese. We help out with homework a lot, as well as help them apply for food stamps, insurance, cell phone plans etc. It really is fun because I wouldn't get to do that anywhere else in this mission.

This week for General Conference we are all trying to get the Burmese to the church to watch it. We haven't really worked out the details yet, but that is what we are planning on. I am so excited! I really love hearing the prophet and apostles speak. I know they are inspired of God to say what we need to hear.

Thanks for the updates on life back home. Enjoy your spring break and know that I am also enjoying my week! I cant believe time has flown by so fast but I am glad that I am using my time to the fullest. Have a great week.

Love Elder Mortensen
 
 
Brayden and Elder Cluff at the Raleigh Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment