Monday, June 24, 2013

The Best Way To Do Missionary Work Is With Members and Missionaries Working Together

Hello everyone,
 
We have had a wonderful week. We did see a lot of miracles. Aye Meh is still doing well and is doing a lot of good things to help her husband Su Reh come to church. They have been praying as a family every day and are trying to read the Book of Mormon every day together. They do not really understand English very well so reading from the Book of Mormon has been a struggle, but they have been trying. You asked if we have translation for the Burmese at church. Yes we do! We give each of them microphones so they can hear the translation. One of the Burmese members, usually Hthen Lay Pan or Nang Shi Oo do the translation. One of the missionaries sits in the back of the chapel with the person translating and condenses what the speaker is saying and tells it to whoever is translating. It is pretty fun but difficult at times because a lot of times people speak fast so we cant translate everything. Sway is doing well! He passed his baptismal interview and is going to be baptized on Saturday! He has been coming to church regularly and has been keeping other commitments so he is ready! The branch is pretty excited because they are all pretty involved with Sway and his family.

Michael and Snow are doing well, they were not able to come to church but are still progressing. We are not sure what day they will be baptized on. They have a scheduled day of October 26th which is a ways away but hopefully they will be ready before that time. We have had a bit of a hard time finding productive things to do during the daytime hours. A lot of our investigators are not available during the day. This area is very unique because our assignment is to teach only Burmese people. Our teaching pool depends a lot on people moving in and out of the area. Hopefully we will have some new families move in soon.
 
I'm glad you got my memory card, Ill answer your questions that you asked me. We had to boil water for Trish's baptism. In Greenville, the water would stay warm for about 15 minutes, then it would take about 15 minutes for it to warm back up. It took a long time to fill up the font. For Christa's baptism the water was pretty cold so we wanted to make sure it was nice and warm for Trish. We were there for 2-3 hours filling up that font. The person playing the guitar is Tin Tin Soe. He is a member of the church but moved to Raleigh shortly after I got to Lumberton, Im not sure what language he is singing in but it is probably Karen or Burmese. The person playing the piano is Bronson. He was a young man in Greenville who we went on a lot of exchanges with. We went to a piano recital to try to find some of his friends to teach. The last pictures are Aye Meh, her husband Su Reh and their son Seh Reh.

Sounds like y'all had a great week. I can't believe Josh went on his first date... Hopefully it was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed looking at those pictures from a long time ago. I am very glad that you took a lot of pictures for us to remember the past. Happy anniversary! 22 years is a long time, it sounds like y'all had a good day which you deserve.
 
I was able to go to that leadership training. It was fantastic. It really made me excited to see all of the exciting things going on. From my experience as a missionary, I know that the best way to do missionary work is with members and full time missionaries working together. That is a big focus in our mission. We try to spend a lot of time working with members and helping them identify friends that the missionaries could teach. I know when I am home I am going to be a better member missionary than I was.
 
I love y'all so much, I hope you have a great week. Thank you for writing!
 
Love Elder Mortensen








 

No comments:

Post a Comment