This week has been a very great week! I will try to answer all of the questions but if not I am sorry. My companion is Elder Peck from Highland Utah. We get along really well. He is a very good trainer and knows the scriptures very well. He is also a very good planner and that is something I deffenatley struggle with, So he is helping me get better. The missionary schedule is very busy. We wake up at 6:30 and exercise for 30 minutes. Then we eat breakfast and shower until 8:00 when we start personal study. After an hour of that we have another 2 hours of personal study for my first 12 weeks in the field. After my 12 weeks we will just have one hour of companion study. After that we talk about our investigators and plan for what we will be teaching them. The first night we were here we taught 3 lessons. Two of them were to investigators and one was to a less active member in the ward. Our mission has a big focus on teaching the recent converts and less active members as well as baptizing new members. We currently are working with about 8 investigators, 4 less actives and we have 6 other referals we are trying to get in contact with. I never realized how much work it is to find people to teach and how frusterating it is when people dont keep commitments and make it to the appointments. We have set goals and plan to baptize 2 new members into the church in the next 2 transfers we will be together.
I didnt realize how much you work with the ward when doing missionarywork. We have a great ward here and everybody is very nice and welcoming. We usually get fed about 3-4 times a week in the past, but we have been cooking the last couple of nights. We made Spaghetti one night and a really good chicken stroganof another night. I actually enjoy cooking a little bit! Other then that I eat eggs for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.
We had the priveledge of having Elder Jeffery Holland talk at our mission conference. It was AMAZING! You think he gets firey in conference? You should have seen him talking to us. He was yelling at the top of his lungs! He is very passionate about the gospel and I can tell that he loves us very much. He told us that he loves us very much and commends us for the work we are doing. He really made me and the other missionaries want to dedicate ourselvs to do everything that we can and not waste these two years. After hearing him I deffenatley wont be wasting my time. It was a real privelidge to shake his hand and have him teach us.
In our area we dont get a car, we have to bike and walk everywhere. It deffenatley is hard work but it is very rewarding and I feel I am really giving it my all because of it. Wilmington is a very nice place but is very humid. The other day we had a tropical storm pass through which brought us a lot of rain. Fortunatley we had members who were able to drive us around.
Spiritual experiences continue to happen all the time. This last fast sunday I went in with a very specific question that I have been pondering for a while. I got a very speciffic answer through a lesson we had at church. It was a nice experience and it is experiences like these that help keep me going and working hard throuought the day. Me and Elder Peck also got a call the morning before church to teach the gospel doctrie class, it went very well and It is deffenatley easier to teach the gospel.
It sounds like things at home are going well. Congratulations to all of the kids for making their soccer teams!! I really miss watching all of you play. Also congratulations for finishing another year of school!! I hope all of the summer plans go well. Bri, it sounds like your engeneering state thing will be fun whether you want to do it or not!! Sounds like life is a lot the same for Mom and Dad!! I hope you continue to be sucessfull and happy with what you are doing as well. I promise to send some pictures next week (if I remember).
Im not sure really what else to say, other then I am soo happy to be here on a mission and am soo very greatfull for the support you give me. I might have taken my family for granted a little bit, but I do really really appreciate all you do for me, especially Mom and Dad. Thanks for giving me the support I need to come on a mission and I would not be who I am today without you. I hope everything is going well and you continue to be happy and safe:)
Love,
Elder Brayden Mortensen
P.S. I have many scriptures that are my favorite but i really like Mosiah 2:41
P.P.S I will go back and look at the questions you sent me and maybe send
another email here shortly, or send a letter.
No comments:
Post a Comment